Monday 7 June 2010

Slightly behind schedule but...

Good News people! I made it through the week from hell in one piece. :)

To explain in more detail I am quickly approaching the end of my first year at uni and the last week of it reminded back to the dark days of the IB (International Baccalaureate) for those who don't know what i mean) which was 2 years of consistent essays, revision and people being on your back. Ok, so it wasn't quite that bad, but the problem was there were 3 exams to do and revise for as well as 3 assignments to hand in within that same period so it was safe to say that I was a pretty busy bee as such, missed out on sleep and pub time minus Thursday night.

Ok enough about me moaning about exams, enough people have them right now and best of you luck to all those with some still left to do.

The point of this (late) post is not really about university. Well I guess it is as such. It's about Saturday night's antics. Which started with Doctor Who (great episode btw), went via some video games and as such largely involved a rare club outing for me who, as most people will know, is far more at home sitting in a pub chatting, laughing and losing to everyone at pool. However unlike typical club nights this one was a Rock and Metal based night by the name of Big Lick. It is held in Sky Rooms in the centre of Colchester and has all the weird, wonderful and downright epic people who share a love of alternate music and not worrying about 'Bumping and Grinding' or 'Dipping Low'.

Having got there at midnight me and all the folks I was with had possibly missed out on some of the action which included 3 people in Slipknot costumes paying tribute to their late bassist Paul Gray and other interesting outfits. However a few drinks and some amusing conversations later, the dance-floor was calling.

Starting off was some nice Metal songs, some more well known than others before the first proper dance/sing along moment's began when they began to play music by Musicians who had recently died, including Dio, Paul Gray, 'The Rev' Johnny Sullivan and other such greats who have left us. This followed onto the Marmite song of the night 'Killing In The Name', the song which brought the mosh pit to life in a small violent eruption of flying limbs and fists creating good memories and broken bones.

The violence would quite frankly stopped by the police if there was no sign of a heavy guitar riff, massive drum riffs and vocals memorable enough to live till the grave create an atmosphere you certainly wouldn't find in the rest of Colchester's clubs (Liquid, Route, Silk Road, looking at you). There was a real sense of sharing and unity, perfectly displayed by a guy called Pete that I met in the smoking area to the backdrop of Machine Head. He said something which is great but also a theory I didn't want to test out: 'It's like if someone starts at you when you are in here you have the back-up of everyone at this place, everyone for will stand up for you whereas in Liquid would you just get the crap beaten out of you as no-one would help you'.

The end of the night was excellent, a run of songs, including Symphony of Destruction, Fuel, Summer of 69 and Crazy Nights looked set to bring the night to a massive close of cheesy, noisy pomp and ceremony. The last song however let that down, it was a first playing of the song which did not go down well and signalled about a third of the club, myself included exiting the club before the song ended (yes I was rambling on because I don't remember what the damned song actually was).

The one downside was walking from the town centre to my brothers accommodation with a t-shirt wrapped around my head to stop it raining on me. On the plus side I did win a great looking t-shirt from the DJ's simply for knowing that I'm going to see Iron Maiden and Rammstein at Sonisphere. I must have honestly looked a complete Gonk but I am not sure in the slightest that I care.

So thank you those lovely people who I was with that night for your help in making this particular clubbing experience very memorable indeed.

Coming up next, a review of the latest Bullet For My Valentine album, Fever and a look forward to possibly the most dangerous race left in Formula 1, the returning Canadian Grand Prix from Montreal.

Peace out, Nick.

No comments:

Post a Comment