Wednesday 9 June 2010

The Canadian Grand Prix - Welcome slice of Danger

Now for the first of my Formula 1 posts! *Massive balloon parties with fireworks and confetti*

This sport really is my first love and I swear that I know more about it than Jonathan Legard (for those who don't know he is the lead tv commentator on the BBC and a total arse). My knowledge is on a level many people wouldn't know where to begin for questioning me (not boasting, my bad if you think I am).

Now first off my reaction when seeing the Red Bull accident was OMG the title isn't over as this stage! While the accident looked more spectacular than it was it was an important accident in terms of a) the championship race and b) just the sheer spectacle of the sport. It showed us (along with the Hamilton/Button scrap 9 laps from the end) that there is still selfishness and people ready even to screw over fellow employees to be top dog. However it did also prove that Christian Horner has not got the experience of a Ross Brawn or Martin Whitmarsh (who is F1's biggest shit stirrer in my view. Just saying.). In this kind of situation is the true test of a team owners metal and Horner needs to grow a set and tell both drivers to calm down before they ruin the Constructors championship.

Now onto Montreal. How I missed thee last season. The slow technical bends and the massive straights make this one of my favourite tracks along with one of the most accident prone and entraining opening corner sequences of any racing track in world (just as Alex Wurz, Jean Alesi, Johnny Herbert and Jarno Trulli what they think after 1998). It is in essence a pure street track while still being a race track with some of the calenders most imposing barriers, making the track (as Robert Kubica found out massively in 2007) incredibly dangerous. While I will agree that the sport should be made safer this circuit is a welcome slice of danger, the kind of squeaky-bum moments which make the sport what it is and shows how good the drivers are and how the can avoid the danger when it is inches away.

Now for one of my un-famous rubbish predictions for qualifying/race:

(By the way ret stands for retired and if there is only one name the driver would finish where they qualifyed)

1) Vettel
2) Hamilton/Webber
3) Schumacher/Hamilton
4) Webber/Button
5) Button/Schumacher
6) Kubica/Alonso
7) Sutil/Kubica
8) Alonso/Sutil
9) Massa/Rosberg
10) Rosberg/Massa
11) Kobayashi
12) Petrov/Algersuari
13) Algersuari/Barrichello
14) Barrichello/Buemi
15) Hulkenberg / Kovalinen
16) Buemi / Petrov (ret)
17) Dela Rosa / Glock (ret)
18) Liuzzi / Trulli (ret)
19) Kovalinen /Senna (ret)
20) Glock/ Hulkenberg (ret)
21) Trulli/ Chandok (ret)
22) Senna/ Dela Rosa (ret)
23) Di Grassi/ Liuzzi (ret)
24) Chandok/Di Grassi (ret)

Should be a good'un hopefully and I do hope that there is another new winner, possibly Mercedes or Kubica but I guess the Red Bull is the car to beat and will be until someone thinks of a better idea than Adrian Neway (who is genius in my view) which is looking tough at this stage.

I'll post again after the race, ta ta for now

Up next (and I mean it this time, I will stick to the plan) a review of Fever and looking back at WWE Fatal Four Way and TNA Slammiversary (third different spelling I know, I think this the right one).

Peace

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment